Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Puppy Update

This whole experience with Vic has been quite traumatizing, I pray that our children never have major surgery, it is stressful. Thursday he had his surgery and was pretty droggy most of the day. Friday he was feeling better, Sat morning he went in the get the tube out. He was doing great, everything looked fine, no worries.

Well once that tube came out it was like he was a free dog, he wanted to run and jump and play and go for a walk...only problem was that he still had an 8 inch insistion on his chest. Saturday evening one of his stitches popped, now there was a small whole in his chest. By Sunday morning he had ripped 2 stitches out, now there was a sizable whole in his chest...we were really getting worried, we were debating if we wanted to take him to the emergency clinic or if it could wait until morning... but he still seemed to be feeling fine.

Luckily our Vet lives one street down from us, so Kris got his cell phone from the neighbors and called him. He was sweet enough to come by and check on Vic on his day off. He gave us some antibiotics and told us not to worry unless another stitch in that area popped. Well guess what - by Monday morning another one had ripped, there was now about a 3 inch whole in Vics chest - this was no good. Luckily, Kris had Monday off (thank goodness) - so Monday morning he took him back to the Vet, the Vet said that without putting him back under they couldn't restitch it. There was no way we were paying for more anaesthesia, so Kris decided it was time for a second opinion.

We have another Vet Clinic right down the street that Vic has been too before. They said that they could numb the area and restitch him right away - so we went with that plan. They also wrapped gauze around his chest and suggested that we put a t-shirt on him to keep him from scratching the area. He doesn't seem to like it as much, but it is keeping him calmer and from ripping any stitches.
Kris now has to change his bandages every 3 days (it's a good think Kris used to work in an ER, cause I'm not sure I could handle doing it). We've also been giving him benadryl to keep him nice and calm. Hopefully by Saturday he will be healed up enough to take the stitches out and he can go back to being a playful puppy.


Karelle Photography said...

Awww, poor little guy.

Camille, Blake and Pierce said...

Sorry to hear about Vic.... this is so sad but I know you are being a good mama to him... the last pic looks so sad... but this too shall pass and before you know it he will be running around again.

The Westcott Family said...

this is way to much for me to handle...all the talk of stiches and such. Ew. I can never have a dog.